OFFICE MAPS AS A NEW SORT OF CARTOGRAPHIC PRODUCTS. THE THEORY AND PRACTICE
St.-Petersburg State University, Faculty of Geography and Geoecology, St.-Petersburg, Russia
Now the special office maps groups was applied in the cartographical market among all diversity of products. Modern lines of society development change of state control style the frames have led to its occurrence. Similar maps became demanded by a society more recently, therefore their significance promptly increases.
The basic features of office maps are the following.
1. Consumers: managers and managers of all levels power structures, chiefs of the average and large companies working with a space of the information allocation in this or that form.
2. These cartographic products are executed under the special order and consequently, actuate a greater part of customer authorship.
3. The dimension of maps: from 1 square meter up to 6 and more square meters, in any proportions on length and width.
4. "Vertical" (wall) usage of cartographical products that leads to the special design as units of the contents, and to a selection of fonts.
5. Small quantity of copies - from one up to several pieces. Printing of such maps is going on not on the offset equipment, but on a large-format plotter.
6. Exclusive promptness of execution. As a rule, managers wish to see an off-the shelf maps to the determined date (conference, arrival of the high-ranking person, a television, anniversary and so on). Without usage of modern computer technologies it would be not possible to solve a problem.
7. Terrain of scope: from municipality which the customer-manager operates on, up to maps of the World with display of the company branches the when the map is ordered by a business-structure.
8. The form of maps representation: paper, paper with lamination, often on special substrates, with usage of magnets and light-emitting diodes that enables to demonstration of phenomena dynamics. For today it is the unique form of "motion" display (except for electronic maps).
9. The special units of contents: socially significant objects, sites of administration and its branches, all those objects which the given customer operates and, therefore, bears the responsibility for, borders of "neighbors".
10. Exclusive requirements of customers to a modernity of the attributive (thematic) information at possible discrepancies in geometry.
Now office maps are the most successful tool for spatial vision and making of any administrative decision.