The orienteering sport (see Wikipedia) plays an important role at ICA events. The following information was collected by László Zentai, who is always happy about emails with additional information, photos and materials.
Session S9-F, Orienteering Maps, Wednesday, 28 August, 2013 14:45–16:00
- László Zentai: Implementation of Cartographic and Digital Techniques in Orienteering Maps (the full text was published in the Springer Proceedings)
- Dušan Petrovič: Automation in orienteering map production – fiction or reality, paper
- Thomas Gloor: Vegetation height maps derived from digital elevation models – the next innovation in the production of orienteering maps? Abstract on page 558
- Terje Midtbø: Orienteering moves indoor, paper
- László Zentai: Legibility of orienteering maps: evolution and influences, abstract, presentation, full text published in The Cartographic Journal, May 2011
- Terje Midtbø, Sindre Jansson Haverstad: Map animations for visualizing orienteering competitions, paper
- Dušan Petrovič: Some experiences in making orienteering maps in Slovenia from airborne laser scanning data, paper, presentation
Course A: 4.9 km 25 P 1 65 KLAUSER, Hubert Baar HA 25:00 2 43 HAUSWIRTH, Sabine Baar DA 25:03 3 110 SCHAAD, Gian-Reto Baar HA 26:31 4 3 ANTOS, Filip Zdiby HA 26:58 5 31 GAFFURI, Julien Ispra HA 27:46 6 ROMIEU, Cyril AS IGN HA 36:59 7 103 PETROVIC, Blaz Ljubljana HA 39:32 Course B: 3.7 km 21 P 1 94 MIDTBO, Terje Trondheim HB 24:52 2 73 KRISTIANSEN, Kristoffer Hønefoss HB 30:49 Course C: 2.7 km 17 P 1 40 GRANAS, Karin Uppsala DC 28:57 2 PETROVIC, Gasper Ljubljana HC 42:03 3 128 VALLARINO KATZENSTEIN, Ana Montevideo DC 54:54 4 18 COTTERALL, Louise Auckland DC 1:01:54
- Laszlo Zentai, Hungary: Maps For Different Forms Of Orienteering, paper
- Dusan Petrovic, Slovenia: Criteria For Selecting Areas For Orienteering Maps, paper
- Georg Gartner, Austria: Laserscanning Data as a Basis For Orienteering Maps – Advanced Potential And Further Research, paper
|Name||Country||Level||Start time||Finish time||Time|
|Hans Erik Aurell||SWE||A||00:14:00||00:53:08||00:39:08||2|
|Mercado Huerta Norman||CHL||D||00:20:00||00:00:00|
6 August 2007, chaired by László Zentai, Hungary. Presentations:
- László Zentai, Hungary: New technologies in making orienteering maps, presentation file
- Georg Gartner, Robert Ditz, Austria: Laser scanning data for cartographic data modelling of orienteering maps
- Dusan Petrovic, Slovenia: Adventure races and orienteering maps
- R.V. Atojan, Russia: Techniques of panoramic map-picture creation on the base of the locality perspective drawing
There was no official orienteering event, but we had a joint training around Hotel Cosmos (Botanical garden, Jauza, Sokolniki) on 8 August 2007.
Orienteering event on 14 July 2006, organized by Robert Ditz and Georg Gartner. Image gallery. Results:
1. Gian-Reto Schaad Switzerland 24:54 2. Dušan Petrovic Slovenia 25:12 3. Laszlo Zentai Hungary 28:10 4. Feldmann Hans-Uli Switzerland 29:03 5. Menno-Jan Kraak Netherlands 38:19 6. Tomaž Podobnikar Slovenia 40:50 7. Frank Thiemann Germany 45:01 8. Andreas Pammer Austria 45:48 9. Ben Nausner Austria 45:50 10. Alexandra Stadler Austria 47:29 11. Jana Moser Germany 49:10 12. Fam. Zentai Hungary 50:48 13. Anja Hopfstock Germany 52:26 14. Pavel Dergel Czech Republic 1:01:34 15. Alexandra Kaiser Germany 1:03:20 16. Jochen Wendel Germany 1:04:31 17. Petr Fuks Czech Republic 1:28:30 18. David Fairbairn United Kingdom dq 19. Tony Moore New Zealand dnf 20. Leonhard Suchenwirth Austria dnf
12 July 2005, chaired by Bengt Rystedt, Sweden. Program PDF. Presentations:
- Mapping standard for sprint orienteering: standardized competition maps for urban, park and forest areas, L. Zentai, Hungary
- Orienteering maps in Slovenia, D. Petrovic, Slovenia
- The orienteering maps production: quality control, A.L. Muñoz Nieto, M. Herrero Matías and M. Vidal Triquell, Spain
- Orienteering maps in Vienna – data acquisition and cartographic data modelling, R. Ditz and G. Gartner, Austria
1. Dušan PETROVIC Slovenia 20:43 2. Reidar FOSSUM Norway 21:14 3. Ulf HEDLUND Sweden 22:14 4. Georg GARTNER Austria 22:40 5. Terje MIDTBO Norway 23:02 6. Lars HARRIE Sweden 23:27 7. Hans-Uli FELDMANN Switzerland 23:30 8. Robert DITZ Austria 23:54 9. Craig FEUERHERDT Australia 24:01 10. Kjell RONNEBERG Norway 25:06 11. Boris STERN Switzerland 26:27 12. Kristoffer KRISTIANSEN Norway 26:40 13. László ZENTAI Hungary 26:55 14. Olaf SCHNABEL Switzerland 27:28 15. Ingo PETZOLD Switzerland 28:50 16. Karsten LIEN Norway 28:55 17. Hanna MARAN Estonia 29:26 18. Primoz KETE Slovenia 29:43 19. David FAIRBAIRN England 30:25 20. Marion WERNER Switzerland 30:53 21. Edel Sofie NILSEN Norway 31:11 22. Moritz NEUN Switzerland 31:29 23. Jana MOSER Germany 32:15 24. Jorma POYHIA Finland 32:42 25. Amdrew NIERMAN United States 33:22 26. Alexandra STADLER Austria 34:00 27. Miklaucic LOJZE Slovenia 34:24 28. Brit Torill HAUGEN Norway 35:04 29. Lars PALM Sweden 36:00 30. Elisabeth Marie CHESNEAU France 37:04 31. Helina HIRN Finland 43:36 32. Vemund RONNEBERG Norway 51:41 33. A-AGOT ELIGAADE HARTMON Norway 51:54 34. James CARTER United States 53:21 35. Ewa SIEKIERSKA Canada 57:50 36. Amy GRIFFIN Australia 61:53 37. Sverre IVERSEN Norway ERROR
There was no dedicated presentation on orienteering maps. One of the ICC participants managed to take part in an orienteering event during the conference.
There was one presentation on orienteering maps: László Zentai, Hungary: Development of orienteering maps' standardization
László Zentai also had a chance to take part in the Chinese Orienteering Championships during the Conference. This event was organized close to Beijing, the competition map and some photos are available here (in Hungarian).
1st ICA (and 4th CCA) Orienteering event
by Diana Hocking
77 participants from 14 countries enjoyed an evening of exercises and socialising at Rockcliffe Park (and the New Edinburgh Pub) on Tuesday. Thanks to Intergraph for donating the excellent prizes.
Top results (approx. 5 km course)
- Hans Aureil, Sweden, 27:14 minutes
- Hans-Uli Feldmann, Switzerland, 27:28
- Dusán Petrovic, Slovenia, 28:28
- Tony Kusbach, Czech Republic, 29:33
- Reider Fossum, Norway, 31:50
Top Canadian: Roger Wheate, 37:45 (CCA President)
Top Women: Jen Turner, Erin Kuyvenhoven (Canadian students)
by Dušan Petrovic, Slovenia
There was one event and due to many other activities (technical visits, excursions, commissions meetings etc.) I believe that one is enough. We had it in the afternoon, on Tuesday (try to avoid the day of national delegates meeting!), probably around 5 p.m. and there were more than 70 competitors who took part. The competition area was about one hour walking from the conference center and it covered embassies with surrounding parks, there was also a part of forest. It was Score-O, with limited time of one hour (there were also many non-orienteering runners who competed and just tried). There were also some small symbolic prices, probably from technical exhibitors (I got an Intergraph cup).
There were two presentations on orienteering maps according to the abstracts of the conference:
- Petr Uher, Czechoslovakia: Maps for Orienteering
- David J. Fairbairn, United Kingdom: Orienteering Mapping and higher education