ICA is willing to respond positively to requests from responsible organizations who seek endorsement of conferences, meetings and symposia. ICA approval is dependent on confirmation of several aspects:
- Cartography or GIScience has to be a core item of the conference.
- The conference must seek international participation.
- Any member nation of ICA may send attendees.
- A member of the Executive Committee or a chairperson of a commission or working group appointed by the Executive Committee may participate in the Programme Committee of the conference.
- An ICA address is given at the opening by an Executive member, a commission or working group chairperson or an official of the national organisation member of ICA.
- ICA recommends that the conference proceedings are published, with the ICA logo on the front cover.
- The conference is reported on in ICA News by its organizing committee.
Organisations seeking endorsement must contact the Secretary-General and Treasurer prior to the use of the endorsement. Endorsement of a conference does not necessarily imply ICA financial support.
ICA actively encourages use of its name in titles of conferences as follows: Meetings in calendar years in which there is no International Cartographic Conference can be approved by the EC as being “ICA Regional Symposia”. It is possible to attach the name “ICA Regional Symposium” to an existing event, including a commercial event, as long as it is regional (i.e. supra-national), and there is an opportunity to promote ICA.