In the week of 21–25 September 2020, the EuroCarto 2020 (including the 68th German Cartography Congress) took place as a virtual event. With 412 registered participants from 57 countries as well as 45 presentations, three keynotes, a CartoHack and a CartoCafé, the event was a great success. The abstracts of all contributions have been published in the Abstracts of the ICA and can be read under the following link: https://www.abstr-int-cartogr-assoc.net/2/index.html. The videos of the presentations can be found in the detailed program on the event website.
State-of-the-art information, together with many interesting discussions all around cartography and its many facets – this is what the 2020 (Virtual) EuroCarto is all about, plus much, much more, so be sure to join us between September the 21st and 25th.
This event, which is co-organized by the German, Austrian and Swiss Cartographic Societies, is also the 68th German Cartography Congress as well as a regional conference of the International Cartographic Association (ICA).
As a direct consequence of the Corona Pandemic, holding the planned event in Vienna was unfortunately just not possible. But this virtual edition of EuroCarto 2020 is more than just a substitute:
From Monday to Friday there will be up to three presentation sessions, held either in the early afternoon or early evening.
You can look forward to an extensive and wide-ranging program – which you will find on the conference website eurocarto2020.org. Among the highlights will be Keynotes by Tim Trainor (President of ICA), Gerd Buziek (Esri Deutschland, on the subject of COVID 19-Dashboard) and Wolfgang Kainz (University of Vienna).
The technical and temporal framework has been arranged in such a way that there will also be many opportunities for discussions with your peers and further to the many presentation sessions there will also be further possibilities for professional and social exchange (e.g. at a “Carto Café extra”).
Thanks to our sponsors – Esri DE/CH, Schubert & Franzke, GeoVille Information Systems and Data Processing and the open access journal publisher MDPI – participation in EuroCarto 2020 is free of charge for all!
The mandatory online registration form can be found at eurocarto2020.org – however due to technical restrictions, the number of participants is limited to 400 – so don’t wait, register now to be sure you can join us!
Wolfgang Kainz, Conference Chair
President of the Austrian Cartographic Commission
The Central European Cartographic Conference will be held together with the 68th German Cartography Congress in Vienna, from 20–22 September 2020. The organization is jointly carried out by the German Society of Cartography (DGfK), the Austrian Cartographic Commission in the Austrian Geographic Society (ÖKK), the Swiss Society of Cartography (SGK), the University of Vienna, and endorsed by the International Cartographic Association. The conference is also recognized as an ICA Regional Cartographic Conference and will bring together researchers and practitioners from academia, government, and industry to exchange knowledge related to cartography.
The planning for EuroCarto 2020 is progressing well. Here are a few highlights of what is to come:
- Abstracts (up to 800 words) are due by April 15, 2020. For details see: https://www.eurocarto2020.org/abstract-submission/
- Three exhibitor packages are available. To become one of the premium sponsors, please contact the conference organizers at firstname.lastname@example.org. For details see: https://www.eurocarto2020.org/exhibitors/
- Preconference workshops and ICA Commission meetings are free to conference participants. Please advise the Commission Chair of your interest to participate.
- Every day of the conference will have inspiring keynote speakers. Please visit the conference website for updates on the conference program.
- The registration fee covers all sessions, the exhibition, coffee breaks, and the evening reception at the Vienna Townhall on September 20, 2020. Due to limited space the Townhall reception requires registration and will be honored on a first come basis.
- There is a special reduced registration fee for members of the three organizing cartographic societies and student groups. For details see:
- The conference takes place in the ceremonial halls and the arcaded courtyard of the University of Vienna. The conference starts on Sunday morning, September 20, 2020. Arrival in Vienna on Saturday is advised.
- Affordable conference lodging is available in the vicinity of the University of Vienna. Numerous restaurants and eateries near the conference venue offer typical Viennese and Austrian meals as well as international cuisine.
For further details see the conference website at https://eurocarto2020.org.